Plow Pose, or Halasana in Sanskrit, is an inverted yoga pose that stretches, strengthens, and relaxes your human body. It’s an intermediate pose that you can modify to match your demands.
Browse on to find out how to do Halasana, its advantages, and modification alternatives.
Halasana is a common yoga pose — or asana in Sanskrit — that’s provided in many styles of yoga practices. It entails lying on your back and putting your ft on the ground powering your head. Normally you do Halasana towards the stop of a yoga session. Even so, it’s the 3rd of 12 fundamental asanas in the Sivananda sequence (1).
Halasana is an inversion, which indicates your coronary heart is positioned previously mentioned your head. This sort of posture offers a number of added benefits. Halasana boosts circulation, improves blood pressure, and lowers blood sugar amounts, which is beneficial for diabetic issues administration (
Halasana stretches your spine and stretches, strengthens, and tones your again muscle tissue. It assists prevent and alleviate tightness in your neck, shoulders, and back. The pose also strengthens your shoulders, arms, and legs.
Practicing Halasana boosts flexibility, which enhances muscle mass and joint mobility (
It also will make your spine a lot more supple, which may well support ease muscle pressure and make improvements to posture. Growing flexibility can also cut down your prospect of harm and strengthen your everyday and athletic movements.
Halasana also stimulates digestion, so it could be practical for constipation.
Plow Pose makes it possible for you to loosen up, which can help decrease stress and stress, equally bodily and mentally. Offering oneself time to chill out might support you feel more rested and at relieve. In flip, you may well uncover it a lot easier to slide asleep and slumber deeply.
Anecdotally, it is frequently reported that turning your entire body upside down all through inversions can spark new methods of pondering, present a new standpoint, or boost your mood. You could want to experiment with this as component of your exercise.
To do Halasana:
- Lie on your back with your arms upcoming to your entire body and palms urgent into the ground.
- As you inhale, carry your legs to 90 levels.
- As you exhale, roll your pelvis off the floor, shifting your legs again towards your head. Gradually reduced your legs over your head, toward the floor.
- Place your palms on your lower again for guidance.
- Align your pinky fingers on possibly aspect of your backbone, with fingers pointing up toward the ceiling.
- Walk your hands up your spine to elevate your spine.
- Attract your shoulder blades and elbows in as near alongside one another as doable.
- If your toes get to the ground, you can release your arms together with your overall body with palms down or interlace your fingers.
- Hold this position for up to 2 minutes.
- To release, reposition your arms alongside your entire body with palms down.
- As you exhale, little by little roll your spine back again down to the flooring.
- Pause with your legs extended to 90 degrees.
- As you exhale, engage your abdominals and slowly and gradually lower your legs to the floor, or basically bend your knees and place your ft on the flooring.
- In the course of the pose, lengthen your arms overhead and just take maintain of your calves, ankles, or toes.
- To do Parsva Halasana (Aspect Plow Pose), hold your arms on your again for aid. Stroll your toes to the ideal, pausing here for up to 1 minute. Walk your toes back to the center, pausing in this article for a instant. Then stroll your feet to still left, pausing here for up to 1 moment. Wander your toes back to the heart.
- To move into Karnapidasana (Ear Stress Pose), bend your knees towards the ground and location them alongside your ears.
- Walk your toes out huge to appear into Supta Konasana (Reclining Angle Posture).
- Hold your neck in line with your backbone while hunting upward.
- Try out to rest your excess weight on your upper shoulders, not your neck and head.
- Do not shift your neck from side to facet or change to appear in yet another path though your feet are overhead.
- If it is not doable to spot your hands on your backbone, you could spot them on the sides of your hips.
- For higher convenience and ease, bend your knees slightly.
- Tuck your chin into your upper body, placing slight stress on your upper body.
- Observe if you’re yielding your pounds onto a person aspect much more than the other and change accordingly.
- Activate your shoulder and arm muscle groups to keep from placing far too considerably stress on your neck.
- For spinal alignment, you have the selection to push your toes into the flooring to lengthen your spine or to purposely round your back again.
- Retain your arms on your back again for assistance if your toes never attain the floor.
Typically, you exercise inversions towards the end of your observe. Even so, if you’re normally weary or worn out at the conclusion of your session, you may perhaps would like to do inversions a little bit before. That way you are going to have adequate energy and toughness to do the poses securely.
Usually Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand) is practiced in advance of Halasana because Halasana puts much more stress on your spine. You can counter Sarvangasana and Halasana with Matsyasana (Fish Pose), gentle spinal rolls such as Bitilasana Marjaryasana (Cat-Cow Pose), and a light forward bend.
There are several means to modify Halasana.
For extra consolation and assistance, you can use a folded blanket or mat beneath your shoulders. Line up the edge with the leading of your shoulders. This alleviates stress on your neck, minimizes neck flexion, and makes it possible for the back of your neck to soften.
If your toes really do not arrive at the floor, you can rest your ft on a cushion, block, or chair seat. You can also area your toes from a wall.
Halasana and other inversions supply immense gains, but they are not a requirement for any yoga apply. Halasana can provide a deep, soothing stretch, but you must come across your sweet place in conditions of comfort and ease.
Generally listen to your overall body and follow Halasana properly. Stay clear of holding inversions for also extended.
Don’t do Halasana if you have any neck, blood strain, or digestive challenges. If you have worries about blood dashing to your head, these types of as sinus, ear, or eye issues, stay clear of this pose.
Halasana is not proposed if you are menstruating or expecting. If you are feeling weak or fatigued, help save Halasana for another working day.
Putting pressure on your head and neck when your coronary heart is bigger than your head may perhaps cause or worsen headache signs. If you get problems often, you might would like to stay away from inversions altogether or do them for a quick time.
Normally your physique is significantly less flexible when you first wake up. You may perhaps specially discover this adjust in versatility in the course of Halasana.
If it’s early early morning and you’re made use of to working towards in the night, remember that you may perhaps not be capable to go as deep as you normally do. Listen to your body and modify if required.
Halasana is a stress-free, strengthening pose that delivers a deep extend to your backbone and again muscle tissue. You can do it on its personal, as aspect of a mini-sequence, or through a lengthier session.
Whilst Halasana is moderately difficult, you can make changes so it functions for you.
If Halasana isn’t for you but you nonetheless want to take pleasure in the positive aspects of an inversion, you can experiment with Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand) or Viparita Karani (Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose) or test out an inversion sling or inversion therapy.
Talk with your doctor right before starting any new yoga system if you have any professional medical fears or just take any medications.